Wednesday 23 September 2009

queues, elephants and rolls

I made a huge step concerning the piece of writing I'm presenting on Tuesday.
The bad thing is, the step was backwards. Until yesterday, I was almost certain which piece I was going to give. Today I stand among four of them. And I like them all (written by me, they are obviously perfect) so I'm not sure what should I do. Flip a coin? Rock,Paper,Scissors,Lizard,Spock? Decisions,decisions...

Remember what I said yesterday, about people going out for a coffee with me? Well, a colleague and friend picked up that torch. We visited the Elephant House, a cafe in the city center, famous for being the birthplace of Harry Potter.
[Get this, apparently she wrote parts of the first two books there. Of course, the owners milked this for everything it's got, so now it's a tourist attaction. You have to wait in line (see?) for about 10 minutes just to get a latte.]
Anyway... We were talking about our prose (which is not a euphemism for youknowwhat, we are writers after all) and she said how bad she felt about writing a piece, concerning a 7 year old boy getting killed. Well, I then went on to say that I have managed to masacre almost all of my characters, including a 5 year old girl in a story that actually got published.
I'm pretty sure she now believes I'm a schizofrenic serial killer* and we find that offensive.
(a blog called brainsanity doesn't help against that though.)
Anyway, it's not my fault; they are short story characters (as in, expendable).

Right now, there's a big fat pile of money next to me. It's 13 pounds and 78 pennies, in copper coins. That's just coins of one penny, twopence and fivepence.
I can build a coin castle out of them :-) Or I can go to tesco's and pull an "old lady" bit. You know, handing every single penny to the clerk, one coin at a time, while the huge line of people behind is cursing and shouting... I could even wear a cap with a daisy on it, just to get in character.

Speaking of tesco's, it has a couple nice things we don't have at supermarkets, back home.
Coleslaw salad is great, sausage rolls are awesome (even though they technically don't have sausage in them, that was a surprise...) 10 grilled barbecue chicken wings for ONE pound... and don't even get me started on caramel shortcakes. If I ever find myself about to be executed, my last meal would definitely include a huge pile of those.
Plus, there's this thing called Cherry Coke. You either love it or hate it. I love it. You can actually make it, just add a little bit of grenadine in a normal coke. You'll thank me later (there's a nice comment section down there). I think it's the best soft drink I ever had.
Well, that's not true, DIET cherry coke is even better!

I guess that's all for today. I'll just go and throw a roll in the microwave oven. Maybe the next one will actually have a sausage in it.

Consta... "sex, drugs and sausage rolls" ...ntine

*[In all fairness though, she just said "serial killer". I added the schizofrenic. Because, you know, honesty.]

5 comments:

  1. Honestly, I wanted to be "cool" for this one... but Dean mah mate... Cherry Coke?!?!
    Reallly??? (that's how it's spelled in Salonica :P) Hate it!
    Anyway, I really wanted to let it go and at least act "cool"...but nooooo!
    "DIET cherry coke is even better!"
    oh dear lord! :P how are you supposed to find any sausages in these rolls when you don't even have a real, manly, good ol' fashioned coke next to you? :P

    ...Sucked! ...neeext! (-o-)
    (tie fighters kick ass :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I weep for your blockmindedness as well as for your castrated tastebuds. You obviously never tried cherry coke so... Go play with your tie fighters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you use your super-english skills to me!! :P In fact, Cherry coke is not that bad... that bad is the diet one! I mean, just picture it. You're drinking diet cherry coke, while weeping for me...and i'm drinking my full sugared, original flavored, coke while playing with my Tie fighters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's got ONE calorie! one... wait,calorie? or is it calory? SEE? Calories weren't meant to have a singular noun! THAT'S how awesome Diet Cherry Coke is.
    (-0-) = = = = = (-0-) (wwhhhaaeeeeee.....tsiou,tsiou,whaaaeee...)

    [Yes, it's supposed to be 2 tie-fighters fighting each other...We're sad... must get back to reading)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Concerning the other writer, it is bad to say that you've killed a 5-year old child in your stories: it takes away half the shock value when they actually read it.

    ReplyDelete